14 May 2008

In which embarrasment is averted

The Law of Maximum Inconvenience states that when you remember something kind of important that you forgot in the lab, you''ll remember it at quarter to one in the morning while you're trying to get to sleep.

I had brought back some shrimp from the Coastal Studies Lab yesterday. Unfortunately, the mortality rate when I do so is invariably pretty high. So I had quite a few corpses to dispose of.

Except that I forgot to dispose of them.

And I knew I had to get up and walk down to the lab in the middle of the night to get those dead shrimp into a waste container. Because nothing stinks like dead marine things, and they would probably be pretty stinky by morning.

So I trudged over to the lab in the middle of the night.

It was fairly depressing to see all the lights on in a lot of university buildings, though. Middle of the night. Between spring and summer sessions. Who's around? Janitors, yes, but do they need to have the entire building lit up, even floors and rooms where they're not working? Lights cost money, you know...

1 comment:

PipeTobacco said...

Hello:

I would expect, however, that many of the lights are from the graduate students as well... working all manner of hours.

PipeTobacco